Monday, October 27, 2008

Author Interview -- Jeff Rivera













Please welcome a new voice in the writing world, Jeff Rivera. I think you'll find his bio is reason enough to spark some interest in his work. :)

Mr. Rivera's first book, Forever My Lady, will be released tomorrow, Tuesday, October 28th, from Grand Central Publishing.

BIO

Once homeless and living in his car, award-winning novelist Jeff Rivera writes passionate stories of those often forgotten and neglected by society. He believes even in the eyes of a gang member, even beneath the soiled clothes of a bag lady or behind the tears of a lonely kid in the back of the class, there lies a common thread that links us all, the universal human story. He has made it his personal mission to help change the way the world thinks in a positive way through his stories. Mr. Rivera currently lives in New York City.


Q: Could you please tell us a little about your writing background
and how you made your first sale?


I've been writing since I was 6-years old when the kids would make fun of me about it. I kept going and used it as a way to write about what I was going through emotionally but I'd never seriously thought about writing a novel any more than the average person does until I received rejection after rejection by Hollywood on the Forever My Lady screenplay. It was because of that rejection that I became motivated to just tell my story and decided to write my novel. I went from self-published to published after Grand Central acquired it.

Q: Readers and writers often like to get a behind the scenes peek of an author's writing routine. It would be great if you could please share your typical writing day schedule.

Well, when I'm not procrastinating I'm writing. I don't need a particular time of the day. I can write at any time and even though writing in the evenings or the middle of the night is best for me, you'll often find me on Facebook or Myspace chatting with my online friends.


Q: Please tell us about your latest novel and what we can expect from your characters.

My first novel is called, Forever My Lady, published by Grand Central publishing. The mass market edition is coming out on Tuesday, October 28th.

It's a coming of age love story about a boy whose only friend is his childhood sweetheart Jennifer. She sticks with him no matter what even as his path leads him into becoming a juvenile delinquent. He promises her he'll turn his life around that they'll get married and have children and she promises to never leave him. But he finds out from a friend that she's planning on marrying someone else. I think whether you are a lover of love like me, or you like in-depth characters you'll find what you're looking for in Forever My Lady.

Q: What's up next? Do you have another project in the works? If so, please tell us about it.

I just sold another book, a Young Adult book and I'm working on a third. So many ideas I have and it's just a matter of time before I crank them all out.

Q: Would you like to close with a writing tip?

I would say take a genre that is wildly sellable then do another twist on it, take the genre you're most passionate about and turn it on its head.


For more information, please visit Mr. Rivera at his WEBSITE.

No comments: