Thursday, August 17, 2006

No real comment

Well, I'm there. At MySpace. I'm not hugely impressed ... and yet it's kind of neat the amount of *friends* I've already accumulated while networking. One extremely surprising episode came about when I was 'reunited' with an old friend I haven't seen in at least 17 or 18 years. Talk about a small world!

Otherwise, the whole *friends* thing... I now have about 70 ... but it's a bit strong of a word, IMHO. I'm sure most of them, if not all, are very nice, pleasant folk. But friends? Not quite the word I'd choose. It would be nice to create some actual friendships from that list, however. I know it can be done in time.

I have a distinct feeling the whole environment was set up for us wall flowers -- those of us who maybe had a hard time fitting in during high school or college? Those of us who still have a hard time 'meeting and greeting' out there in the real world.

But, that's just my first impression. My quick impression of a world within which I feel totally alien. Yet, there are a lot of interesting people there. I may learn a thing or two. ;)

Will MySpace help sell more books? Huh. I really can't tell. I think the only thing that can sell books is word of mouth and a storyline that grabs the reader's attention -- and keeps it.

A great cover doesn't hurt, either.

No comments: