Sunday, February 08, 2009

Changing the world

I was listening to the radio recently when John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change" came on:

"Me and all my friends
We're all misunderstood
They say we stand for nothing
There's no way we ever could
Now we see everything is going wrong
With the world and those who lead it
We just feel like we don't have the means
To rise above and beat it"


I somewhat like the song, honestly -- but I find the message a little sad. I wonder if this is how John's generation really feels? Hopeless? Ineffectual? Probably.

I know there are many times I wonder "Why bother?" Nothing I do or think or feel seems to make much of a difference. The world goes on exactly as it wishes and only the rich and powerful seem to direct its course.

But then I'm reminded that few people can actually change the course of an entire planet. Yet, we can make a difference -- maybe a small one, but a difference nonetheless. The concept isn't new.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, though no one thinks of changing himself." ~~Leo Tolstoy

Every time you make a good decision; every time you do the right thing by helping another, by being less selfish, by caring -- you change yourself. When you change, its the Butterfly Effect in action. Your small deeds ripple outward, influencing others... changing your surroundings... improving your small corner of the world.

Of course you can do the opposite -- be selfish, hard-hearted, hurtful, etc... it still affects the world in small but noticeable ways. But is that the kind of world you want?

Maybe we need to stop bemoaning our fate, our government, our economy, and start finding ways to change ourselves. One person at a time. One family at a time.

First we have to choose -- Do what's right OR do what's easy? Try the former and I promise you'll see some positive changes.

No comments: