Saturday, October 10, 2009

The problem with convenience

Let me first say that wireless Internet was a necessity in our home. We have four children currently in cyber-school -- all with their own laptops and their own schedules. It would be impossible to have each of them hooked up to one router in our schoolroom. For one thing, the noise would make it hard to concentrate. For another, our schoolroom isn't the most comfortable room in the house -- particularly during cold Pennsylvania winters.

So the wireless router was installed. It's great -- not perfect, but great. The signal isn't always what I'd like it to be, but it does enable the children to fan out and enjoy some measure of comfort while they attend virtual classes. Yes, they really do have the life. ;)

I've also found that this wondrous, wireless connection is my downfall. When I first got my laptop -- still in love with it, btw -- I got a lot of work done in my bedroom. I couldn't go on-line, so it made my choices simple: write or play Freecell. Freecell gets old fast. I got quite a bit of work done.

Then I connected. At first it was great. Look! I can check my email from here, I don't have to wait until later when the desktop is available. Nice.

Then I realized I could update my website, too. And change my Facebook page. Even twitter. Oh, I'd better check that FB game, my crops may need harvesting. Oh, that looks like fun.

I'd get back to the wip and suddenly hit a wall. Well, I'll take a break. One game won't hurt. I have to re-check my email, something important might come up.

And so it went ... until I found that convenient wireless Internet became my downfall. My crutch for avoiding work.

Of course, the writer's block I've been experiencing has its roots elsewhere. I can't blame the Internet or the little signal bouncing around the walls of my home. But I also can't help but wonder if I might have gotten over it more quickly if procrastination hadn't been made so easy?

No comments: