Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Quirks R Us

I have a quirk.

"Oh, really?" Go ahead and laugh. You know you want to.

I write, therefore I have to be a bit 'off', don't you think? Maybe. At least I have to be a bit different from most people. Most people do NOT make up stories in their heads. Took me years to realize this and the phenomenon still fascinates me.

My particular quirk -- at least the one I'm willing to divulge in a public forum -- is this:
I cannot write an unnamed story.

Nope. Can't do it. I've tried and failed.

I have to have a title or the words don't come. Nothing. It's as if the title cements the story; sets the tone; directs or defines the plot. The title seems to bring it to life like the lightning bolt that jolted Dr. Frankenstein's monster off the table and into our nightmares.

If I have a title, the rest can be as vague as a character's name and a general premise. Sometimes the title leads me to the rest as if it were a guidepost. Strange, huh? I don't know if anyone else writes this way and I'm honestly afraid to ask. But it works for me. I suppose nothing else really matters.

Current titles in the works or on my to-do list:

Table for Two (rom com)

Chameleon (paranormal rom suspense)

Autumn of the Armada (historical)

Small Town Junk (contemp suspense)

Phone Tag (rom com w/paranormal elements)

A Perfect Fit (rom com)

I love titles that do double duty -- ones with hidden or multiple meanings. But I won't tell you which ones fit that billing. You'll just have to read the stories to find out for yourself. ;)

No comments: