Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Can you do this?

Speaking of 'stupid' labels, here's a couple that I've noticed lately. Have you ever looked at a certain popular brand of facial tissue... which rhymes with fluffs? They actually give you step-by-step directions on how to blow your nose. Uh-huh.

I don't know about you, but my mama taught me that quite a few years ago. I've passed that knowledge on to my own children. I just assumed that everyone learned such a thing as a child. Was I wrong? Or do they really think we're not that bright?

Meanwhile, on the instructions for heating a frozen pot-pie it reads: "Remove carefully from oven -- CAUTION filling may be hot." Oh-kay. Thanks for the warning but... DUH?!

So, are we a world filled with inept, illogical and/or careless consumers? Or are manufacturers just terrified of getting sued?

Makes you wonder.

2 comments:

Denise Patrick said...

They're terrified of getting sued. You should see some of the laws on the books designed to keep the idiots trying to blame someone else for their own carelessness out of the courts.

Meg Allison said...

Yes, that's what I was afraid of, Denise. Thanks for confirming it for me.

So, I suppose we are -- in general -- lazy, stupid and/or greedy enough for these warnings to exist.

Sad.