Sunday, October 30, 2011

The editing dilemma


I'm working on the next story in my Harris Grove series. These are the final, refining edits -- and maybe a little re-writing. I really don't like this part.

The main problem? I wrote the story quite a while ago -- and with a particular audience in mind. Now that audience has changed since that publisher closed its doors. My style of writing isn't precisely the same, either. It's not a drastic change, but it isn't the same.

Every time an author writes, they refine their style or voice. Which is hopefully what I've done. However, I also have a slightly different voice when I write comedy over suspense. I have to get back into light and funny mode. Not always an easy transition.

Now, back to the story at hand: Table for Two. It's light; funny; sweet. Yeah, I'm really not sure it completely works. It seems too old-school. Too 1950s? No, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I can't backtrack when it comes to voice. I want to keep refining until I just can't find anything to change. I want this story to reflect that.

But this story... I don't know. I like it. I'm finding it a challenge. And at the moment, it's kicking my butt.

Wish me luck!

No comments: