Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Changing seasons


Fall has long been my favorite season. I love the changing leaves, the cooling temperature and the smell of woodsmoke along with the subtle hint of ice in the air. I love Halloween -- the scary stories, costumes, caramel apples, bags of candy, and mugs of hot apple cider. It also helps that my birthday is right in the middle of it all. :)

But I think the main reason I adore the season is that it puts me in mind of starting over. Sure, that might seem more appropriate for Spring, but Fall, for me, is the time to reflect on the past year; to slow down a bit from the hustle and energy of summer; to re-connect with my inner peace and my muse. Winter tends to zap my energy and motivation; the preceding season does just the opposite.

Nothing inspires me more than a fall sunset cast against the backdrop of orange, gold and red leaves. Nothing stirs my memories more than the smells in the air and the chill in the breeze... memories of a first crush; bonfires and laughter; mountain retreats and roaring fires.

All of us have seasons or things in our lives that inspire and fuel our spirits. What are some of yours?

No comments: