Saturday, September 22, 2007

In love with ... love

If I had to give one answer as to why I write romance opposed to anything else, I'd have to say that it's because I've always been in love with 'love'.

I'm a romantic at heart. I enjoy the little tingles I get when I'm in the arms of the man I love. I adore the passion, the sweet cuddles, the smiles and everything in-between. ;)

I suppose it's always been a part of me and that's why I have to write romance. There are no two ways about it. The stories my muse speaks of involve a man, a woman and all those wonderful, scary and tempestuous emotions that spark every romance. I also prefer a happy ending. Yeah, call me sappy, but if the ending is sad or just plain sucks, I'm not a happy reader. So why would I write it any differently?

But you don't always know how those two will get together, because while I do insist on a HEA (happily ever after), I also like to add a bit of mystery and some danger. Maybe throw in some broken trust or a chip on one of the character's shoulders the size of Missouri. It all adds to the tension, both sexual and otherwise, and makes for a much more consuming read. It also makes it more fun to write. ;)

So, yes, I'm a sappy romantic. But don't be surprised if you have to step over a dead body or two before you get to that happy ending. Not everyone can survive.

No comments: